Skip to main content

Welcome to my Blog

I created this blog to bring together any ideas I come across that would help people (myself included) live happier and more contented lives.

You might wonder what qualifies me to give such advice. I'm a happy, middle-aged Glasgwegian. However, in my twenties, I suffered from anxiety and depression requiring medication.

I got through those dark days, particularly with the help of my wife, Joyce.

Many of my work colleagues will be surprised to hear this about me. Even these days, people generally don't talk about mental health, particularly their own. Perhaps, if we remove the taboo from talking about it, we can make all of our lives better.

Note - this is not me. It will make you smile, though.

Image by rawpixel from Pixabay

The truth is, in life I've seen failure and success, grief and joy, sadness and happiness. We all have to deal with the good and bad in life. I don't have all the answers, but life is a journey and we can all find out more along the way.

I'm currently doing a course in Neuro-Linguistic Programming. I'm also an avid podcast listener and listen to audiobooks. I've become more interested in learning about mental health, and wellness in general, so all of these things will feed into this blog.

I'm not a religious person so I won't be advising you to look to God for help. However, if that works for you, that's good.

I doubt I will come up with any original advice that you can't find elsewhere. It's a learning experience for me, but I hope others will respond to my blog posts with their experience. I've enabled this blog to accept anonymous comments so you won't have to log in or identify yourself if you want to post a comment. However, I will moderate every comment and decide if it should be posted on the site.

I also don't want the advice I give to involve spending lots of money, or making huge changes in lifestyle - you can go a great distance by taking small steps. You should be able to follow the advice with no or low cost.

If the blog proves successful (by having lots of readers, and me coming up with lots of ideas to post), I might consider moving it to WordPress or Wix, with its own domain, to give me more control. For now, though, it's hosted on Blogspot.

A note about advertising - I will generally advertise two things on this blog, Audible and Amazon Kindle Unlimited. For the UK, if you sign up for a trial for either of these, I will get some cash, even if you don't continue to pay Amazon after the trial. For both, you can sign up for 30 days, and if you cancel before the 30 days has expired you won't incur any charges. There is also a general link to Amazon UK - I also receive a payment if you click on that link and then buy something on Amazon. You still pay the same price as you would have, so there is no additional cost to you.

Lastly, people often associate happiness with success. However, many successful people (particularly celebrities) are unhappy with their lives. The truth is that success comes from being happy, not the other way around. The happier you are, the more productive you will be, which should bring success.

So, let's find ways to get happy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doubler

This is the exercise which inspired me to create this blog because it's so easy to do. The basics are this: Once a day, think back over the past 24 hours, and choose a positive experience you had during that time. Write down as much detail as possible about this experience. The theory is that your brain can't tell the difference between having the actual experience, and merely visualising the experience. As a result, you are effectively having a positive experience twice. Image by engin akyurt from Pixabay I think there are a number of things I think we could do to make this work even better. Always write the details of your positive experience by hand, rather than on a computer or mobile phone. There is research that shows that handwritten notes are retained in the memory more easily than notes typed on a laptop. I would suggest using a cheap notepad, or a diary, for this purpose. It might be an idea to do this exercise first thing in the morning so that